Sunday, May 3, 2009

My 30 Day Challenge

Two weeks ago my agent called to tell me that he recommended that we take our house off the market for the time being. We had two homes down the street going for less than ours (same floorplan) and it probably wasn't the best time. I said fine - I was tired of the constant picking up for the past 50 days.

The next day we received an offer on the house.

That Tuesday, two days later, we submitted a counteroffer with the contingency that we have to find a house. And we made an offer on a house.

Our counteroffer was accepted, but we didn't get the house.

We gave it another shot - did a search of the area before backing out of the deal on our house.

Last Tuesday we submitted another offer. We found out Thursday that we got the house.

We are now in escrow, closing in what's that? Oh yes, 30 days!
Folks, I guess that means its time to pack.

So that's the 30 day challenge. Pack up my belongings and move them about 10 miles southeast.

I realized in that in my past 30 years of living, I have never really moved. I grew up in the same house and when I got married, I basically took the clothes out of the closet in my bedroom and brought them to my new house with Mr. D. I put a couple boxes of books in my car and called it a move.

Even when I helped Mr. D move into our current home in his bachelor days - the move consisted of a truck with a small trailer. There was a bed, a dresser, couch and a few odds and ends. I think the neighbors must have chuckled, or cringed, when they saw our sad move-in.

This time, however, it is going to be quite a bit different. I've had 8 years to accumulate things to put in cupboards and hang on the walls, as well as 2 kids who come with several containers of outgrown clothes, numerous stuffed animals, cribs, changing tables, swings, and playpens.

Tomorrow the challenge is: Pack Books. Gotta start somewhere.
I'll keep you posted friends.

1 comment:

Lyndsay said...

Congratulations Sara! That is exciting. Good luck packing up the house. I haven't really moved either. We are looking at moving this summer and I will have 12 years of stuff to pack.