Tuesday, March 23, 2010

This is how our garden grows



We've been busy outside celebrating spring the past few weeks.


Getting our garden planted. Our inaugural garden. Such a test run. We have no idea what we're doing. At all. I'm sure our efforts are laughable to an expert gardener, but hey, we're a couple city kids, well, suburban kids, who think that produce comes from the grocery store.

Well so far we are off to to a promising start. I put seeds in the ground. And something has come up... and they aren't weeds. Surprisingly. While we were planting I kept telling Mr. D that if anything comes up, I will be shocked. He reassured me by saying that just about anyone can make something grow. Thanks. Helpful. I'll be the dummy who can't grow something.

Fortunately, I'm not. Lo and behold. We have sprouts.


And the sprouts keep growing.



We have lettuce, spinach, carrots, broccoli, squash, and zucchini.





Last weekend we went out and bought some pepper, tomato, and strawberry plants. They are in the ground now. And we are anxiously waiting to see when, okay, if, we will harvest anything.



This has been a great learning experience for Grace. She's helped plant the seeds and then loves to go out and check "her" garden.


Can't wait to serve some fresh veggies with dinner.

Or better yet, make something scrumptiously strawberry. I'm still optimistic.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Growing kids and a growing garden! So very nice. Now I have to ask, does Grace have any other clothes besides the spotted T-shirt? She was wearing it in your last blog post too... I think this means you need to post more often. Ha ha.