Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Dirty Forks, Vines, and Cakes

So... something I never thought I would say, much less write:

"I just ate my cake with the fork that I used to scratch your foot."

Never did think that would happen.

I was the recipient of the foot scratch, not the cake-eater. Fortunately.

In other less disgusting things, Operation Jungle Party is still underway. I have my to-do list itemized out for each day this week so I can systematically complete tasks with the goal of avoiding total meltdown at Saturday, 10pm when I wail, "and the party is tomorrow....." So far, so good. Today on the list is making my vines.

I'm taking twine and cutting crepe streamers and draping them over the twine to create a vine-like look. Some streamers I'm twisting, others just letting fly. We are going to hang the vine-rope across the center of the gazebo (27' - you can refer to the map, if necessary). I have some inflatable monkeys that will then hang from the rope in the vines.

I am also going to make another trial cake today. This will be the third! I want to make the cakes rather than purchase them to avoid all the preservatives and make it somewhat healthier. I'm trying to use whole wheat pastry flour in lieu of the white flour, but I don't want to serve a cake that's too dense. I have decided that I'm going to make one chocolate sheet cake, and then two lemon cakes in my animal molds that I bought. That way I have plenty of cake and still get to make some of my animal shaped cakes that are so time consuming to decorate.

So I've tried out two different lemon cakes - one was too dry, the other was pretty good, but I'm not 100%. But, since chocolate will probably be more popular anyhow, I'm going to try it out today. I've made it before, just never with the whole wheat flour. We'll see!

Oh, and I should do some housework today also.... but that's just not as fun as party planning!

No comments: