Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Trip to the Lake

It was a hot and sweaty weekend. We packed up our gear and left our 95 degree temps for the lake - where we had even warmer temps of about 110. We took Showdog III (our boat - the name, silly story) to Lake Mohave in Nevada.

We left bright and early at 5am (okay, more like 5:45am) on Friday. We carpooled with another family who have a 10 month old. Crammed like sardines - three across the front of the truck (the husbands and the wife), and me in the back with the babies, we headed off for our 5 hour trek. It went fairly smooth: babies cooperated, truck cooperated, we got breakfast at the Denny's with the slowest. service.....ever. We arrived in the small town outside of our destination and drove up to the motel (that title is even questionable) where the rest of the group (two other families) were staying. Upon looking at the rooms - I wished we were staying at a Motel 6. At least they leave the light on for you. And perhaps have windows that lock! So after much debating about should we stay or should we go now - we decided to stay. Our options were limited after all. There's not much within a close proximity and that's why this place manages to stay in business while charging $65 a night! $65 so I can fear my safety and wear flip-flops in the shower!

Okay, okay, enough about the skeezy motel. We finally launched the boat launched and got out on the water. Its about 2-ish at this point. And honestly, I'm done! Finished. Nothing left. Running on fumes.

Here's the recipe: Take only three hours of sleep (one day maybe I'll actually do my packing before the night before), mix that thoroughly with travel weariness, add a dash of motel drama, and a good heaping of pregnancy - allow to bake at 110 for about 1 hour and you will have a bonafide tired and cranky mommy.

So Friday wasn't exactly a blast for me. I chilled out roasted on the beach while counting down how long until I was going to get air conditioning and sleep.

Fortunately, as soon as my tired body hit the spring loaded, saggy mattress at the skeezy motel, I was out like a light. Almost 8 hours of sleep later, I felt like a new person - ready to hit the beach.

Saturday was much better - your typical day at the river. Lots of suntan lotion and lots of bottled water. The non-pregnant people rode the jet skis and inner tubes. I did venture out in my maternity swim suit (yee-haw) and played in the water with Grace. It was nice and relaxing.

Sunday we spent some more time out in the water before calling it a day to try to make it home by dinnertime. Of course dinnertime is relative - we didn't get home until almost 9pm. Why do trips home always seem so much longer? Without the anticipation of fun - we all just realized how hot, tired, and dirty we were, and how much work we have waiting for us at home! Actually, the trip home wasn't that bad - we chatted, laughed, cleaned up explosive diapers. An explosion that warranted removal of entire carseat for cleaning. That's my daughter - boy can she poop! But we all made it home safe and sound - albeit a little sunburned (no thanks to my suntan lotion).

So that was my weekend. Here's proof.

Playing in the "kiddie" pool
Singing "Itsy Bitsy Spider"

Family Self-Portrait "Showdog III"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good stories. Your family pics make me think of all the rad ones I have with my parents - before the other children.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun Sara. We had a similar weekend but we were tenting it. So no air conditioner for me. Making memories though. Grace will remember this one I'm sure. ;)