Monday, July 28, 2008

Our Safari Adventure

So I know everyone is waiting to hear - how did the safari adventure go? Was it a success? Well, friends, we did it. And we all had fun. And we're still recovering.

Saturday night we wrapped up prep work at 1am. Hit the hay and was up and at 'em at 6:30am. We loaded the truck and my Jimmy and was at my mom's by 9am to drop off Grace. We were setting up at the park by 10am. Right on schedule. Score. We were moving the last few boxes out of the way and taping down the dang elephants on the table one last time at 1pm when the guests started arriving. Whew.





We had a great time. There were about 15 children (and we didn't even have to rent any of them to make it look like Grace has friends!), 40 adults, and enough food for 100 (I always overbuy!). The weather was great - although a little windy which didn't help my grandiose decorating plans. Even duct tape couldn't hold down the ornery inflatable animals in the wind. Oh well. It was pretty to begin with.

We had the kids decorate safari hats, there was a pinata, and lots of bubbles. The bubbles were a huge hit.





And of course, the cake. I ended up making a tiger cake, which looked a little like an orange kitty, but you know what, it was midnight and that is not my cake-decorating finest.





But I've come to find out that really the talk of the party was the refrigerator. I guess it's not the norm to unplug your fridge and bring it out to the park. That's my husband for you. There's no mountain too tall for him. I have to preface though - it isn't a full-size fridge, and it wasn't from our house. It's about a half-size fridge, and it was from our garage. And hey, the fruit was cold, coleslaw chilled, ice frozen, and the tiger-cake still had its "roar" because of it. Like Mr. D told me today - "you gotta give me props for the fridge." Yes, Mr. D, - I will give you "props" since we are from the hood, and you have mad skillz.





And now, on to some more picture goodness.








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you know how to throw a party Sara. I'm doing a bridal shower in a few weeks can I hire you? The fridge is hilarious. You must be the type to think of everything. I am very impressed with your cake decorating skills. I can image after an event like that you are glad that she only has one birthday a year. That is generally my feeling after my kids' parties.

Unknown said...

Sara!
What a cool party!! You are sooo talented at decorating and preparation for events!
I'm so glad everything was a success!! Yay!!
Happy Birthday Grace!!

The Garrett Family said...

Wow! Everything turned out great. I'm very impressed!