Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Little Blonde Girl

Grace was adopted by a 2nd grader at the park today.

When we arrived to play (read: burn off energy before dinnertime), there was a group of young girls involved in an elaborate make-believe game in the playground. It was cute to listen to them - reminded me of my years of imaginary play.

They took a break at one point and the group scattered. These young-women-in-training already knew the ropes, and a group of them went to the restroom together. A couple remained and Grace decided to make some friends.

She went up to them and starting babbling away in her own special language she has. They seemed interested. One little blonde girl in particular. She wanted to pick Grace up. (Don't tell Mr. D, but I let her). Then she asked if Grace could play with them. I said she might be a little young still for that. So instead little blonde girl hung around us. She helped Grace slide. They played on the teeter-totter together. She told me about 2nd grade, about her mom having a new baby, and how she knew Grace was a girl because she was wearing pink. (I guess the mullet is still asexual).

We were having a pretty good time. Then little blonde girl told me that I looked like her grandma.

Say what?

I told her that her grandma might be a little older than me. She asked me how old I was.

Pause. So I think, "do I lie to her", knowing full well that when I told her 30, I might as well tell her 101.

I can't lie to a little girl. I tell her 30.

She looks at me and smiles, "my grandma is 30 too."

I kept waiting for her to say "April's Fools."

She didn't.

Well that little girl must have a great looking grandma.

2 comments:

The Garrett Family said...

That is so funny Sarah, I love the last line! :) I'm sure her grandma is beautiful and very very young looking! :)

The Garrett Family said...

Sorry, I spelled your name with an "h" I'm used to spelling it that way for my little Sarah!