Monday, August 18, 2008

Domestic Day

I felt so domestic today. I got up this morning - washed, dried and folded a load of diapers, did the ironing and cooked up fun stuff in the kitchen. I made Crunchy Granola (from this site) - I am officially hooked on it. I also baked some whole wheat bread - which finally came out soft and oh, so yummy. In addition, I made a batch of lentil soup to have in the fridge for the week.

I think I figured out what I need to do with my bread. Since I couldn't manage to work with yeast the old-fashioned way, I bought a breadmaker a while back. The bread came out much better, but not fabulous like I envisioned. Doing some online reading, I found quite a few people let the machine do all the dirty work (kneading) but then do the final rise and bake the bread in their ovens. It made a huge difference in the way the bread baked. So that's that.

Oh, and in a completely unrelated subject that I can't even segue to - I can't wait for Grace to get a little bigger so we can play dress-up. I was doing some more cleaning out today and found a bunch of items that I would have been bonkers over if my mom had them for me when I was a little girl. A few of the items in this eclectic collection include: my purple 8th grade promotion dress complete with flowers and tulle under the skirt; a green velvet formal from Homecoming; a couple 60's dresses from vintage shops, reminiscent of Marsha Brady; a large girl's Hawaiian mumu; a pair of flats that have been spray-painted gold and covered in glitter; and several 40's era dresses. I hope that Grace enjoys playing dress-up as much as I do did. I'm seriously going to win some cool points there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you like the granola! Love, Wardeh