Saturday, January 24, 2009

Saturday - Market Day

So in the past few months, Saturday mornings have become my new grocery shopping day. Back in the day, b.c. (before children), Mr. D and I used to go together, usually on Sunday afternoons. We would buy scads of boxed cereal cause it was always on sale and I had coupons. Then Grace came, and we would still all go together. The times I went by myself, were lonely - I missed my company.

Then came the new wee one, and it doesn't make as much sense to load up everyone to go to the market. So I've been going Saturday mornings and doing it myself. Here's my little secret - I'm not so lonely anymore. Rather, I enjoy my little excursion out by myself. I get up, plan my meals, make my list, bring my cup of coffee, and roam the aisles. The cart isn't full of boxes of cereal anymore - rather better foods (mostly) that I try to feed the family.

I really started to reevaluate what we were eating when Grace started to eat solids. Suddenly the frosted, sugared flakes didn't seem like the best choice. We also started shopping at the healthy food store, where the most well known cereal is Kashi.

My goal has been to make more and more of our foods rather than buy packaged. I've been making granola and bread for a few months now. My next goal is tortillas. Mr. D has requested pretzels also. I would love to find a good recipe for crackers. My attempt at graham crackers a while back didn't turn out so well.

The one thing I figured out when learning how to go shopping well and help meal preparation is plan my meals for the week. I plan exactly what I'm going to make and then shop around that menu. It helps me so much in shopping wisely and having more time during the week because I don't have to figure out what to make and if I have the right ingredients.

So this week, the family will be enjoying, or at least, eating:
Monday - Brown rice with diced steak and peppers
Tuesday - Baked Tortellini with peppers and zucchini
Wednesday - Tortilla Casserole
Thursday - Dijon Chicken and pasta
Friday - Hawaiian Pizza on whole wheat crust (I love my breadmaker!)
Saturday - Creamy Rice, Chicken and Spinach dinner
Sunday - finish up all the leftovers in the house

Plus, I'll make a batch of beef barley stew to have in the house for lunches during the week. I've been doing that lately - making a soup to have on hand for lunch or to supplement dinner.

I'm all shopped now for the week. I had a lovely trip to the store this morning. They had a great price on cheese, so my little cheese-hounds at home are satisfied as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My mom used to do the same thing. She would post the "menu" on the fridge. I remember looking at it.