Thursday, June 19, 2008

All Swelled Up

I was a pretty good pregnant gal last time around. I didn't have many complaints. I worked practically up to the date (okay, a week before because my boss was a nervous-Nelly and practically kicked me out) and I never even had to take a sick day. I didn't suffer from some of the common complaints like heartburn and indigestion. I slept like a rock up until the night before Grace made her appearance.

In fact, I wish I could have a night's sleep now like I did when I was pregnant. I haven't slept like that since. Sigh. I miss that deep-sleep that ends when my body wants it to, not because a toddler is tapping on your leg. But, I digress.

However, this is not to share that I'm Super-Preggie or anything. I would say Fortunate-Preggie is more like it.

Actually in reality, I should have been called Sausage-Preggie. Seriously, while avoiding all the above mentioned ailments, I swelled up like one of those giant Mickey Mouse balloons from Disneyland. We're talking the huge ones that might sweep a kid away if he holds onto it without parental supervision.

I just about threw a party in my office when I managed to wiggle my wedding ring off around 7 months. It had been a source of concern for weeks. I had tried ice, butter, oil, soap, lotion all without success. I would tug and tug until my finger turned red and swelled up more. Finally, one morning in the restroom while washing my hands I managed to wiggle it off and it remained off until after the blessed baby arrived.

Shoes became a distant memory to me, much like my skinny jeans - which are now a memory fading into a oblivion. I hung onto my strappy sandals until they would leave crater-sized imprints on my feet. Then I was forced to wear flip-flops. To work. That was a low point. And, flip flops I had to buy a size bigger than my typically petite size 9 feet.

So the point of my swollen tales? It has already started. I'm barely five months and I've said aidios to my wedding ring. The moment it felt tight - the bad boy found its way into my jewelry box. And after surviving these last few days of record-breaking heat, I can feel the tell-tale tingling in my feet and up my ankles. So sexy, I know.

Well at least I can wear flip flops now in my new mommy job. And I still have the size 10 ones hiding in the back.

No comments: