Sunday, June 8, 2008

Bye-Bye Billy

R.I.P. Billy the Fish



May 2005 - June 2008

Billy the Beta lived a long life - much longer than I ever thought. When we bought him to live in my office for work, I suspected he would hang around for a few months - tops. I was surprised when each Monday I would come in and there he would be swimming around.

Then he came home with me to live in my kitchen. I enjoyed his company - well, as much as you can enjoy a fish's company.

My favorite Billy story is that of his second chance at life. I cleaned his bowl one day, and not thinking, grabbed the purified water from the fridge. After I filled the bowl, dropped Billy back in, did I realize that the glass was frosty to the touch and Billy was in shock! I scooped him out and back into the warm water. He just floated without movement. Sad, I waited. He still floated. With remorse for being responsible for his demise, I scooped him and and carried him to his final resting place in the toilet. I dumped him in and went to flush. With one last look, I reached for the handle. What's that? He's swimming! It's a miracle! Billy went on to live another year with his new lease on life.

Unfortunately, Billy is no longer with us. My kitchen is a little quieter. Mr. D says we will replace him, but it won't replace the memories.

Let's pause for a moment of silence.

Great. Who's thinking salmon for dinner?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Poor Billy. I will miss him too.