Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Fear of Flying

We are in the process of planning a journey. Three months from now, we are going to take this journey. A long journey that spans across the country. We will be taking this journey with a 21-month old.

I have never flown with a baby. I have always been the one who hopes that she's not sitting next to a baby on a flight. Now I'm the one who will be avoided.

We're flying to DC for a wedding. I'm debating what would be the best flight plan.

1) Book a flight with a stop-over - probably somewhere in Texas. Then we would break the flight in shorter increments. Also, could get a cheaper flight.

2) Book a non-stop flight - probably with Jet Blue. Just suck it up - brave the length of the flight, but with the benefit of Direct TV at our seats.

I'm leaning towards the second option, but I don't know if I can handle five hours with Grace trapped in such a confined space. Also, we're going to probably be cheap and take advantage of the fact that we don't have to buy her a seat since she's under two. According to our friends, if the flight isn't full they will usually let you have an empty seat for your little one.

I'll be praying for an unfilled flight.

So here's my plan with Grace. I'm thinking I will keep her awake for the evening leading up to our trip so she'll be so worn out she'll sleep the whole way. Maybe slip her a little Benedryl and knock her out. Yes, that sounds like an excellent plan.*

*For the sake of my parental reputation - I don't slip my child drugs or force her to stay awake for extended periods of time.

No comments: