Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Style Upgrade

I was getting ready to call Stacy and Clinton for them to tell me What Not to Wear. My wardrobe has been on a downward spriral for the past 19 months. Actually, I would put it back closer to 2 years.

When maternity clothes entered my closet, some style left. I tried hard. I tried to buy some cute tops and be a well dressed preggie. I think I managed - mostly cause I was working and had to look presentable.

Then month 9 came and shoes as I knew them left and were replaced with flip flops. It was all I could fit on my oversized, swollen feet.

Now, fortunately, I have welcomed shoes back into my closet. However, I still have a whole section of clothing I fondly call "B.C." - Before Child. I talk to them once in a while and remind them that they are loved. My dear Gap jeans. My Express slacks. My cute skirts. Sigh. All my favs from The Limited.

But things made a turn for the worse when I left work. My shreds of style I was holding onto starting to slip through my fingers. The situation became dire this past month when I was down to ONE pair of jeans. Only one. If I wasn't wearing the ONE pair - I was bumming around in the brown velour pants with the bleach stain. Lovely picture, I know.

But now I feel rejuvenated. Thanks to the revered Presidents who offer great sales, I now have TWO pairs of jeans. And a replacement pair of lounge pants for the sad brown ones. And, I added a 7 new shirts. I love the styles right now - the nice, empire shirts. Stylish while hiding the areas that are still holding on to "baby weight". I wonder at what point it ceases to be "baby weight" and I just have to say overweight. Let's say two years. I still have a few months then!

So I feel a little spruced up. I severely needed it. I knew I'd reached the low when I actually considered putting on my overalls from the late 90's. Fortunately, I managed to avoid a style-intervention by my loved ones. I was one step away from Mom Jeans!

No comments: