Thursday, February 28, 2008

Outwit.Outplay.Outlast

I was played tonight by a 19-month old. Played like a fiddle.

It was a usual evening. We had dinner together. Dad and Grace read some books while I cleaned up the kitchen. Then I gave Grace a bath. We played, scrubbed, and then got out and into jammies ready for bed. A hug and a kiss and off to beddy-bye for Gracie-poo.

Grace was thinking otherwise.

She started crying as soon as I left her room. Not unusual. I went back in, and before I could even say "lay down", like a good trained dog, Grace flopped down in her crib, grabbed her binky and laid there.

"Night-night sweetie. I love you." I gave her a pat and went to leave.
Loud crying began. Not a normal, evening whimper. Full-blown, unhappy baby cries. I go back to pat her. She feels clammy. So I think maybe her pj's are too warm. I change her jammies - she seems happier. We try it again.

"Night-night". No go. She's crying. I stand there and rub her back. She quiets down. I think she's going to relax and go to sleep. She better - Survivor starts in 15 minutes. Well, she relaxed all right. She relaxed and dirtied her diaper.

Okay, so I try this again. I change her, pat her, love on her, and put her down.
I leave the room, and the wait a second. Wait for it - yes, the crying ensues.

I go back in. I check her. In trying to figure out what she needed, I asked her if she wanted to eat. Instant cheers.

So I get her up and take her downstairs, while muttering about how this isn't a good idea and I'm setting myself up for a bad habit.

I put her in her highchair. To her credit, she did drink a big glass of milk and ate a good portion of yogurt with cereal and a bit of toast. All while watching Survivor. I think she's rooting for Ozzy judging by her enthusiasm.

So in terms of Survivor, I realized I had been "Outwitted" and "Outplayed". She got to stay up a bit longer. (However, I do think she was truly hungry - the rumbly in her tummy gave her away when I was upstairs with her.)

However, she was not "Outlasted". I had the last laugh when she went back to bed at commercial break. The mommy-tribe had spoken.

No comments: