Thursday, March 20, 2008

My Lack of Sleep

....Due to sleeping at the foot of the bed.

My little Grace is not the best sleeper. A combination of genetics and indulgent parenting, she never has been, and as she has taken many traits from her grammy, may never become one. We do our best with her, but each night without fail, she awakens at some point between 1-5am crying and needing comforting. Our comforting is typically bringing her to bed with us. Our motto, the less sleep we lose, the better we feel.

However, the wrench in this plan is when Grace is out of sorts. If she's not feeling well, our wake-up call comes around 11pm. Then she is in bed with us all night - tossing, turning, flipping, rolling. Its amazing how this little person can take up the majority of a king size bed.

For the last two nights Grace has had a cold. She's congested and coughing. My wake-up call came at 11pm last night. Actually, I hadn't even gone to sleep yet. I should have. I should have taken the opportunity when it was presented to me. But I didn't.

So she's in bed between Mr. D and I as usual. She's rolling, coughing, and snoring. And moving closer to me. Next thing she's on my pillow. She's squirming closer. Before I knew it, she had taken over my spot. I was going to move her, but she was sound asleep, and honestly, I was scared to wake her. She's intimidating at 2am. So instead I scooted down to the end of the bed and curled up sideways.

I was booted from my pillow by my little 25-lb. baby. What's with that? And what did I do? Tried to sleep at the foot of the bed. Restlessly.

And what's worse? I obviously didn't learn my lesson because its 10:30pm now and I'm typing instead of catching up on my sleep. Maybe tonight will be different. Grace can sleep at the foot of the bed. The footboard will catch her.

No comments: