Monday, January 7, 2008

7th Grade Flu

I had a bad stomach flu when I was in 7th grade. It was 7th period Spanish class. I sat across from Ryan E. - who was so dreamy. Tall, funny, curly dark hair - think Tom Hanks in "Big". Okay, I have a feeling that my memory is fuzzy with time, and I digress.

It was 7th period Spanish class. I was miserable. My stomach started cramping up, and suddenly I felt wave upon wave of nausea. I couldn't focus on conjugating the verb "ir". All I could focus on is not throwing up in the classroom. I would simply die of embarrassment. And of course, I couldn't ask to be excused. I would have to do it in Spanish and I then everyone would look, and I was sure I was turning shades of green.

15 minutes left. I can do this. Breathe.

10 minutes left. Keep breathing. Don't open your mouth for any reason.

5 minutes left. Dear God, make the bell ring early. Please. Amen.

The bell. Thank goodness. I bolt out the door without even my usual sidelong glance at dreamy Ryan E.

Sigh. I still have a mile long walk home. That walk seemed to go on forever. Each step fighting back waves of nausea. I make it home. I make it to the bathroom. I'm re-living my Carnation Instant Breakfast and PB&J. (I probably didn't need to share that.)

That wasn't the first, nor the last time I had the stomach flu, but it is ingrained in my memory.

Grace had her first stomach flu today. I feel so bad for her. She is so sad and bewildered everytime she throws up.

It has been a long day. She was doing fine this morning, but woke up from her nap with something bothering her. At first we thought it might be her ears. But I know now, she was living out those stomach cramps. Then re-living her avocado and PB toast. In her 5th pair of jammies tonight (only 3rd pair for me), she's now sleeping peacefully. Hopefully the worst is behind. I would relive that horrid day in 7th grade all over again if I could help her feel better. Now that's a mother's love.

No comments: