Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Power Failure

I have talked for months years now about getting our household "disaster ready". I have a list of what I need to do:
  • Purchase fire safe
  • Centralize important paperwork (insurance, birth certificates, social security cards, etc.)
  • Videotape the interior and exterior of our home
  • Prepare a trust for Grace

And I have one more to add to that:

  • Have a flashlight in our room

That one seems simple enough. You would think that it would be an obvious one. But we don't have one. We have a flashlight outside in my husband's truck and in the boat located in the garage.

Today I woke up in the wee hours of the morning and realized that all was dark - no clock radio, no red glow from the telephone base, no light from Grace's room that I had left on. The power had gone out. I laid in bed for a few minutes and thought "you're all right. Go back to sleep." I closed my eyes, but it was oh so much darker than before.

Then I realized the baby monitor wasn't on anymore.

"Well, what if Grace is sick, I want to hear her." Panic. Don't worry - our bedroom doors are all open, I would still hear her if she cried. I closed my eyes.

"Well, what if its just my house without power and someone broke into my house." More panic. That's a silly thought. I said a prayer and closed my eyes.

I opened my eyes. "I can't do this." I need light. What to do?

Yes, that's right, I called my husband at 1am - woke him up in his hotel room and cried, "where's the flashlight?" (insert a wail in that question). My hubby is at a conference this week, and I'm holding down the fort. And as previously mentioned, tending the sick baby.

So last night, with my cell phone serving a dual purpose of communication and flashlight - I stumbled outside and found the truck flashlight. I then stumbled into the garage and found the flashlight in the boat. Mr. D., always so patient, walked me through my fears. I get back into the house.

"Are you going to be okay sweetie?" Oh my dear sweet, sleepy hubby.

I'm about to answer. Now, wait for it:

"Uh yes, the lights just came back on!"

I said good night, thanked him profusely and headed back upstairs. On the way, I noticed the stove said PF (power failure) 1:05 am. As I crawled back into bed, I realized that the stove records its last remembered time. The power going out must have woken me up. If I had just been patient for about 20 minutes, I would have avoided all of this, and my dear hubby would have slumbered uninterrupted.

BUT, then I wouldn't have been able to add to my list of to-do's in case of an emergency.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have a good point. You should be prepared for "Power Failures" :D